The issue of sanctuary cities in the United States presents an interesting case in jurisdiction. In this assignment, you will review sources that present a specific case of sanctuary cities in the United States and complete a template that outlines the main components of the conflict. Planning and developing prototypes is an important professional skill, and this will help to illustrate connections between law enforcement, court systems, and cases, and how they function together.
In Module Two, you learned about how law enforcement functions; in Module Three, you learned about the courts. This assignment will assist you as you begin to create presentation materials for Project Two. Complete the template using the provided Module Four Assignment Template Word Document. Use this document to illustrate the specific functions and processes of law enforcement and court systems, as well as how they work together in a specific case. Following the template, you will find a few follow-up questions. Answer each question in two to five sentences, and use examples from the resources to support your responses. These should elaborate on the information presented in your template.
- Identify the functions of law enforcement related to sanctuary cities in the resources provided. Be sure to include the following:
- What law enforcement does
- The jurisdictional issues related to law enforcement and sanctuary cities
- Identify the functions of court systems related to sanctuary cities in the resources provided. Be sure to include the following:
- What the courts do
- The jurisdictional issues related to courts and sanctuary cities
- Describe how the U.S. law enforcement and court systems relate to sanctuary cities using information from the resources provided. Be sure to include the following:
- How they function together
- At least one dysfunction or challenge area
- Textbook: Introduction to Criminal Justice Interactive eBook, Chapter 16, pp. 427–433
- Article: Texas Banned ‘Sanctuary Cities.’ Some Police Departments Didn’t Get the Memo.
- Video: A Day With ICE in the So-Called “Sanctuary City”
Specifically, the following rubric criteria must be addressed:
- Identify functions of law enforcement, including their jurisdictions, related to sanctuary cities
- Identify functions of court systems in the United States, including their jurisdictions, related to sanctuary cities
- Describe how law enforcement and court systems function together within the U.S. criminal justice system
Guidelines for Submission
This assignment must be completed using the provided Module Four Assignment Template. Any references must be cited in APA format. For more information on citations, review the Shapiro Library APA Style Guide.