Allocate 2 hours in the field to support this field experience in an inclusive K-12 classroom.
In your placement, collaborate with your mentor to observe two of the six co-teaching models. Identify and rationalize the model being used in the classroom. Reflect on the lesson being taught, instructional strategies, and the students being instructed.
Use any remaining field experience hours to assist the teacher in providing instruction and support to the class.
Upon completing your observations and collaborations, reflect on the following in 250-500 words:
- Do you feel the co-teaching model was successful for the lesson? If yes, explain. If not, which model do you feel would be more appropriate to meet the needs of the students?
- Were all students actively participating and receiving support during instruction? If yes, explain. If not, why do you think students were not participating or engaging? Could additional support be added?
- Do you feel there was clear collaboration and communication between the teachers and/or paraeducator during instruction? If yes, explain. If not, what concerns or inconsistencies with instruction did you notice?
- Why is it important for the teacher and paraeducator to be in sync when utilizing co-teaching methods?
- Explain how you will use your findings in your future professional practice
If you are unable to observe co-teaching with your assigned mentor, work with your mentor to locate a classroom where you could observe the models. Contact your instructor if you have any concerns about completing this field experience