Adult Court Waiver
The mission of the juvenile justice system has always been based on treatment and rehabilitation. However, there are instances where we have serious and even violent juveniles who many feel are not good candidates for such a system and, thus, should be handled by the adult court system.
Bearing that in mind, in an 8- to 10-slide Microsoft PowerPoint presentation, answer the following questions:
- What is the purpose of the adult court waiver?
- Specifically, what does it mean for juveniles, as far as their legal rights are concerned, once they have been waived to the adult court system?
- Is the adult court waiver only used for violent and serious juvenile offenders?
- Has the use of the adult court waiver become more common in recent years?
- What are the penalties that juveniles can face once they are waived to the adult system?
- Are there any penalties that juveniles cannot face once they are waived to the adult system?
- In your presentation, list and describe at least two benefits and two drawbacks of the adult court waiver. Make sure to support your assertions with research.