- Introduction and identification of the healthcare concern (Also, why you chose this topic.)
- Normal anatomy and physiology of the affected organ(s)
- Pathophysiology/etiology of the disease
- Incidence and prevalence rates (i.e. how many people have the disease)
- Mortality rates – include age-adjusted data if available (i.e. how many people are dying from the disease)
- Risk factors for the disease
- Gold standard(s) for managing this disease across its lifespan (LHIs, or other goals – ex: A1c <7); HP2020 (or other credible sources)
- Primary Interventions (Health Promotion/Disease Prevention)
i. Health Promotion
ii. Disease prevention (as applicable)
iii. Create a sample health education program – be specific – provide a content outline with goals, objectives and measurable outcomes (use template provided)
- Secondary Interventions (Early diagnosis and prompt treatment to limit disability of the disease)
i. Risk Assessment & Screening (discuss known risk factors and who should be screened and when as a result), risk assessment, screening and invasive testing. Note: be specific…include values and implications – use evidenced based practice.
ii. Diagnosis (i.e. what criteria are used to diagnose this disease?)
iii. Treatment – be specific – how is disease/concern treated? Include diagnostic testing, pharmacotherapeutics, labwork, management protocols, etc.
- Tertiary Interventions (Chronic disease management or “wrap-around care” program)
i. Discharge planning, follow-up, subspecialty referrals, meds, labs…..
ii. Patient education – Detail specifically what the educational needs are…
- Conclusions – including what are the implications if we do not respond to this disease….both for the individual and the healthcare system