In Unit 1, you learned that culture is a complex term in the Humanities. Culture is a presentation of the arts and other manifestations of human achievement collectively ‘and’ culture is the collective customs, arts, social institutions, and achievements of a particular nation, people, or other social group. In other words, culture can be ‘vast’ as in popular culture such as a music icon or it can be ‘intimate’ such as a street performer playing a stringed instrument.
For this first assignment, you will research aspects of any culture that has influenced your life directly in a positive and uplifting way.
Then, you are to create a PowerPoint presentation with images that explores the culture you chose in these 5 specific areas:
- Society (this can include customs, holidays, government system)
- Geography (include the location in the world and topography information (mountains, oceanfront, metropolitan city, etc.)
Topic examples: Some students were or are a part of the military and have been deployed to places all over the world. Perhaps you spent a winter in the snow-covered German mountains or lived with a view of Japan’s Mount Fuji and the experience gave you deeper insights into yourself, your life goals, etc.
- Title slide that provides your name, course name, date, and names the culture being explored (Slide 1)
- Content slides that state the cultural component, include an image, and state key points in bullets or in the ‘notes’ feature. Aim for 3 relevant bullets per slide ‘or’ provide a well-developed paragraph in the ‘notes’ feature (Slides 2 – 6)
- Reflection slide: in a well-developed paragraph, share the ‘why’ and the ‘how’ this culture impacted your life. (Slide 7)
- Reference slide: for images/sources used. (Slide 8)