Booker T. Washington & W.E.B. DuBois on Black Progress (1895, 1903)
1. What are DuBois’ criticisms of Booker T. Washington’s stance on progress for African Americans? Be specific about both the content of and logic behind DuBois critique.
2. What is DuBois implying about the true and proper bases of progress for African Americans?
3. Was DuBois’ position realistic at the time (1903)? Why or why not?
4. Was DuBois a Progressive, and, if yes, why didn’t he receive much help from white Progressives? Explain
5. To what extent has DuBois’ vision of progress for African Americans been realized in the past century? Explain.