For this assignment, assume you have been given the task of developing a spill response program for Acme Chemical Manufacturing, Inc. The company uses chemicals in large containers to produce specialty chemical blends for clients that they then ship in smaller containers. Using the existing chemical inventory list, you confirm the following hazardous materials are present in the following locations:(SeeAttached)
AST=Aboveground storage tank Building 2 is a 15’ X 15’ building with a concrete floor, CMU block walls, and no drainage that is located adjacent to the main building. Acetone is transferred to the main building through piping. The room has a portable ABC fire extinguisher on the wall. Storage Room A is a 20’ X 20’ storage room inside the main building. The plastic totes and glass bottles are stored on commercial racks on two separate walls inside the room. The aboveground storage tank (AST) is located in a corner of the room. The room has a concrete floor with CMU block walls and no drainage. There is a diked area around the AST that can hold up to 1,500 gallons of a liquid. The room has three portable ABC fire extinguishers spread throughout the room. Storage Room B is a 10’ X 10’ storage room in the main building. The room has a concrete floor and CMU walls with no drain. There are no fire extinguishers in the room. In your written spill response program, address the areas below.
- Explain what additional information you would need to perform a risk assessment for the hazardous materials used at the site. Where could you obtain the necessary information?
- After obtaining the necessary information, perform a risk assessment for health on each of the hazards using the risk assessment matrix in the unit lesson. Report the numerical score for each hazard.
- Discuss which hazard you believe represents the greatest health risk to workers in the area.
- Discuss which hazard you believe represents the greatest environmental hazard.
- Develop a list of the equipment and personal protective equipment (PPE) that you would recommend to be procured and maintained for a spill response for each of the hazards.
- Explain why you chose each of the pieces of equipment and PPE and where you would store the equipment and PPE relative to the locations of the hazardous materials.
- What level(s) of training do you think would be necessary for members of the spill response team if you were planning to conduct spill response operations with in-house employees?
Your assignment must be at least three pages in length, not counting the title page and references page. You must include at least two academic references to support your assignment. One of the references must be from the CSU Online Library. The following tutorial on How to Research Occupational Safety and Health Topics in the CSU Library may be helpful in your research for this assignment. Adhere to APA Style when constructing this assignment, including in-text citations and references for all sources that are used. Please note that no abstract is needed.